17 November, 2008

TUMail Evolution...

This would be the bullshit. My life is in absolute upheaval. This would not be caused by last week's election results, but because of the fact that Temple University feels as though it is necessary to "fix" things that don't need to be fixed. Why is it that people are always trying to innovate things that are already sufficient enough?

Well as we all know, Temple University Mail is now powered by Google (now isn't this just dandy...). Now I can receive AOL IM's, Facebook chat messages, AND chat bubbles all in my school's email. Just when I thought that there was nothing worse than that childish bubble pop you hear upon receiving a Facebook chat message (that pop noise is the one a 5 year old girl with a red juice mustache does with her gum in the desk behind me in kindergarten), I was exposed to this new "poomp" sound (yes...a "poomp") created by my new Gmail account. Outrageous. I shouldn't have to deal with this malarkey. It's almost impossible to stay OUT of contact these days. Do you know what this means? Anyone that has your Temple email address can attack you with a chat message at ANY time. I swear to God, if I hear that noise and look at that little window to the bottom right of my screen and it contains the name Professor Giammorco, that man is going to disappear and awaken half naked in a grimey and dimly lit room several days later with thousands of fully loaded staple guns around him and a vintage Talkboy tied to a string on his wrist labeled, "I want to play a game" (it's 2008...I can't find a tape recorder anywhere).

Besides this emerging issue of being utterly vulnerable to the new evils of spontaneous communication, after I touch a mouse and double-click the Internet Explorer icon (p.s...I've just received a "poomp" message from my mother via TUmail) I see that I have lost ALL of my emails from before November 13, 2008. Please let me find the idiot who came up with the BRILLIANT idea to delete everyone's emails halfway through a semester (and what do we call that period of time? oh yes: midterm time). I was getting along just fine by emailing papers to myself instead of purchasing a flash drive. Now my inbox that had archives upon archives of perfectly edited academic papers on various subjects has been thoroughly depleted. Was this change that important that it could not wait until winter break? Winter break: you know, that time when there are no classes! I feel as though I could have made it the rest of the semester without the pointless extra features of Gmail and the deletion of email addresses of TA's and instructors. What do I need a photos link in my email for? Isn't that why Facebook exists? This shit is nonsense...

On top of all this, now I have to deal Temple University's everlasting technical issues. Why is it that I am required to change my password every 84th hour? I am quite certain no one wants to read the thousands of spam messages I get via TUmail. Now after being mandated to change my password, I can't even get into my email account. Somehow, even though I had to type it TWICE to verify the change, the server tells me that my password is incorrect. Oh really, server? I JUST CHANGED THIS SHIT 3 MINUTES AGO. You would think there would be an easy way to reset your password in a situation like this. Nope, absolutely not. Click on the "forgot password" link and look at the security questions that they give you. How the hell are going to ask me questions about myself that I don't even know? Who do think you are, server? I do not remember what time I was born nor who my favorite pop singer was at the time I registered my account. What ever happened to entering your birthday or your social security number? Now security is based on whether or not someone can guess what your favorite Dr. Seuss book was when you were five. This shit is pitiful...

No comments: